The PROMOS programme
The Deutsche Akademische Austauschdienst (German Academic Exchange Service, DAAD) provides support for German students studying abroad through the PROMOS programme, funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research.
PROMOS mainly funds periods abroad lasting up to six months, worldwide (apart from in countries covered by ERASMUS); it provides small grants and assistance with travel costs.
hdpk students can apply for support for these two activities:
- traineeship abroad (up to six months)
- study period abroad (one semester)
Funds available at the hdpk are currently as follows:
Maintenance grants of between €300 and €400 per month (amount and duration dependent on personal means and destination country) and/or travel grants (as defined by the DAAD’s Höchstfördersätze(maximum funding rates)).
The scheme is open to regular hdpk students from all departments. Grants can only be awarded to students who hold German citizenship or are accorded parity by the BAföG.
Periods spent abroad are only eligible for PROMOS support when the grounds for travelling and/or the destination itself precludes support from both ERASMUS (study/traineeship) and other DAAD programmes (e.g. annual grants).
PROMOS grants are awarded via a quality-orientated selection process operated by the hdpk in accordance with DAAD guidelines.
Selection is based on the following:
- qualifications achieved,
- personal aptitude,
- the appropriateness of the planned travel in relation to previous studies, and
- knowledge of the language(s) necessary for the planned period abroad.
For the winter semester 2016/17, two grants covering a study or traineeship period abroad in a non-European country will be awarded.
For the winter semester 2016/17: 31 August 2016
- Application form
- Covering letter, describing the appropriateness of the planned travel in relation to previous studies (maximum one page)
- Academic transcript showing performance in previous exams
- CV (in tabular form)
- Copies of degree certificates, if applicable
- Evidence of linguistic competence, evidence of preparatory activities if applicable (e.g. intercultural training, etc.)
- Written confirmation issued by the internship host, including type of activities intended.